C & A WESTON 12 BORE SXS SPORTING GUN * CASED IN A C&H WESTON TRUNK CASE SN 7876. Circa 1890. 30 inch steel bbls choked full imp-cyl. with tapered concave smooth rib, sgl bead, extractor, with dbl underbites, dbl triggers, and 2 1/2 inch chambers with nitro proofs on flats. It has boxlock receiver that is lightly engraved with about 40% coverage foliate arabesque patterns and makers name on each side. Appended metal is engraved to match. Mounted with straight grain English walnut with checkered splinter forearm, missing its tip insert and straight hand stock with raised side panels, 15 inches over a thick serrated wood extension. It has a blank silver oval initial plate on bottom. Accompanied by its orig red felt lined, brass cornered leather trunk case with initials D.G.H. embossed on lid. It has makers label inside lid and is compartmented in bottom for shotgun and various parts. CASE MARKED FOR DR. D.G. HALL
Bore diameter: left .727 right .730. Bore restrictions: left .029 right .006. Wall thickness: left .036 right .027. Drop at heel: 1 3/4 inch. Drop at comb: 1 3/8 inch. Weight 6 lbs 15.36 oz.
Condition: Good to Very good. Bbls retain most of a professionally restored finish with some small spots of pitting outside. Receiver and appended metal are a cleaned, metal with traces of case colors on trigger plate and top tang. Forearm with its missing insert has a grain check around center and is slightly shrunken with no finish in prep for restoring. Stock has a small chip back of top tang otherwise is good condition with fresh checkering and restored finish. Mechanics are fine, shiny bores with some scattered small spots of pitting. Case is in good overall condition to be original. Slight wear outside, and faded soiled inside with the label in good condition with some later drawn info on it.
Charles & Herbert Weston, began the business of Gunmaking at 7 New Brighton Road, Brighton, Sussex in 1867 & continued there until 1920. They also had premises at Hight Street, Halisham. They were succeeded by J. Woods of F.A. Anderson and continued at 12 East Street, Brighton as C&H Weston until the year 2000.