John Dickson Hammer Toplever Sidelock Double Rifle .500 BPE
Guns International #: 100574252 Seller's Inventory #:
Category: Double Rifles - English - Hammer Rifles
When emailing or calling sellers direct, please mention that you saw their listing on GunsInternational.com
Seller: M.W. Reynolds, Inc.
Company: M.W. Reynolds, Inc.
Member Since: 4/20/10
Country: United States
Phone: (303) 761-0021
Fax: (303) 761-0236
Number of Active Listings: 87
Total Number of Listings: 2369
Seller: FFL Dealer
Return Policy: 3 day inspection and return policy on used guns.
We ship FedEx Ground Insured
Payment Types Accepted: Check, MC, Visa, Amex
John Dickson Hammer Toplever Sidelock Double Rifle, .500 BPE, circa 1875, 28" original damascus barrels engraved "John Dickson & Son" on the left barrel and "65 Princes Street Edinburgh" on the right barrel, barrel flats have the typical J.D.&S. markings along with black powder proof marks, bottom tubes also have "Henry's Patent" markings and use mark for the use of the Henry's rifling, 14 1/2" LOP over a checkered butt with engraved heel and toe plates, 9 lbs. even, extractor, double triggers, pistol grip with engraved steel grip cap, file cut flat rib with one standing and one folding leaf marked 100 and 200, long post bead front sight, stalking safeties, backaction island sidelocks with fine scroll engraving and engraved "John Dickson & Son" on both sides, action marked "J.D.&S. Patent Action" and "J.P. Patent No. 1104" with use number "4179" this is the James Purdey patent of 1863 for the Double Bite Snap, short lever forend release engraved "J.D.&S. Patent", nicely figured dark English walnut with original flat diamond checkering, butt has vacant oval and old style sling eye, front sling eye mounted underneath barrels. Excellent condition and we believe all original and likely original finishes, great bores and tight action. Comes in period leather case with maker's label (missing handle and straps), period sling with correct connectors for the sling eyes and a labeled box of period Kynoch .500 BPE ammo. Provenance: also comes with a letter from Dickson to a Mr. Rodee who was the owner at the time in 1972 confirming the Dickson records indicating the rifle was completed on July 20th, 1875 to an order from a Professor Jenkins and confirming details of the rifle including being a ".500 gauge D/B C.F. Breech Loading rifle with Purdey top lever" and various other information.