LANCASTER 450/400 3 1/4" N.E. BOXLOCK EXTRACT- 28" CHOPPER LUMP Bbls. w/ DOLLS HEAD + THIRD BITE- LARGE ACTION at 11 Lbs. 6 Oz.
Guns International #: 100635344 Seller's Inventory #: y848
Category: Double Rifles -
When emailing or calling sellers direct, please mention that you saw their listing on GunsInternational.com
Company: Champlin Firearms Inc.
Member Since: 11/19/07
First Name: George
Last Name: Caswell
Country: United States
Seller: FFL Dealer
Return Policy: 3 day inspection and return policy on used guns.
5 Plus Days
Payment Types Accepted:
#13633, Charles Lancaster: A Lancaster Boxlock Extractor 450/400 3 1/4" Nitro Express Made About 1909, It has 28" Extractor Chopper Lump Barrels with Rib Extension Dolls Head plus Third Bite, Birmingham nitro proved at 60 Cordite & 400 grain bullet, 1/4 rib with 1 standing & 2 folding rear sights, Bushed strikers, Double triggers, Anson forend release, Shadowline cheekpiece, Nice wood, The buttstock was replaced and absolutely done by a professional as it is well done, 14 9/16" LOP over a 1" Silvers pad, Big bore weight at 11 lbs. 6 Oz., 80% coverage of period engraving, The barrels have been reblacked & are now 98%, No case colors remain, The new buttstock & checkering is at 97%, The forend wood is original and remains very solid, The bores are very good plus, It is tight on the face with excellent bite remaining. /////////////////////////////////// Charles Lancaster started as a barrel maker in 1811 and in 1826 he moved his shop to 151 New Bond St. He started as a barrel maker for many of the top end London makers including Purdey and marked them CL. He died in 1847 and his son Charles William carried on with the same interest in barrel making and was known for oval bore rifling. His oval bore rifling was patented in 1850 for which the firm is most known. Lancaster produced multi-barreled guns to give the shooter additional fire power and reliability as early revolvers were not very reliable because of powder fouling. Lancaster had patents in 1881 & 1882 for 4 barreled rifles, shotguns and pistols but had been building them for all of 25 years prior. In the 1930's Lancaster joined with Hussey, Atkin, Beesley, Hellis and Watson Brothers until 1960 when it became Atkin, Grant & Lang. Of particular interest with a firm like Grant & Lang taking the name Charles Lancaster in the 1930's is the fact that Stephen Grant came to London and went to work for Charles Lancaster. Mr. Grant became the managing partner of Boss & Co. in 1856. Then in 1867 he established his own business at 67a St. James's Street in the heart of the London gun quarter. The records show that the Charles Lancaster firm as a separate entity ceased to exist in 1932 when Grant and Lang bought it. The name Lancaster then was at 7 Bury after the mid-1930's when Grant & Lang purchased it.