LYON & LY0N 20 SIDELOCK EJECT- 99% COVERAGE of GRAPE VINE & LEAF ENGRAVING- 1973 BIRMINGHAM PROOF to BORES & 2 3/4" CHAMBERS
Guns International #: 100538763 Seller's Inventory #: y697
Category: Shotguns - English -
When emailing or calling sellers direct, please mention that you saw their listing on GunsInternational.com
Company: Champlin Firearms Inc.
Member Since: 11/19/07
First Name: George
Last Name: Caswell
Country: United States
Seller: FFL Dealer
Return Policy: 3 day inspection and return policy on used guns.
5 Plus Days
Payment Types Accepted:
#646, Lyon & Lyon. London & Calcutta. (J. Lyon. Late With Jas Purdey & Sons. London.): A 20 Bore Bar Action Sidelock Side by Side Game Gun, 28" Ejector Dovetail Lump barrels that were Birmingham proved in 1973 at 3 1/4 tons with 2 3/4" chambers, Dolls head extension with a third bite, .620 .008 & .024" (Imp.Cyl. & Full), 2 3/4" chambers, Wall thickness on the right barrel at .037" & on the left at .030", Double triggers, Splinter forend with an Anson release, Open pistol grip stock at 14 5/16 x 1 1/2 x 2 1/4" over a full face checkered butt, Cast-off for the right hand, Very nice wood with color contrast, 5 lbs. 14 oz., 99% coverage of fairly heavy grape vine & leaf engraving, This piece remains in excellent condition since being completely and very properly refinished, The barrel blue at 99%, The stock finish at 99%, The checkering at 100%. This piece with correct bores and chambers since being proved in 1973 in Birmingham, Excellent plus bores, the barrels ring with a very nice chime. The wood remains very strong and I am sure the buttstock was replaced in England as it appears new and has a lifetime left in it. /////////////////////////////// In about 1882 James Lyon moved to London where he worked for James Purdey. In 1885 he joined R B Rodda & Co in Calcutta, India. In 1895 James left R B Rodda & Co and in 1896 established his own business at the Grand Hotel Arcade, 16 Chowringee Road. The firm was named Lyon & Lyon. In 1934 the firm was sold to F B Prike of R B Rodda & Co. The business was relocated to Rodda's premises at 3 Wellesley Place. The firm appears to have ceased trading in 1940 and the remaining staff became Rodda employees. Most of the firm's guns were made by the trade in Birmingham and many other guns were imported to Calcutta from America and Europe.