Colt 1849 Pocket Revolver w/Rare 6 Shot Cylinder
Guns International #: 101162310 Seller's Inventory #:
Category: Civil War Revolvers - Colt Revolvers - Antique
When emailing or calling sellers direct, please mention that you saw their listing on GunsInternational.com
Seller: Brent Wilburn
Company: Antique Arms, Inc.
Member Since: 11/19/15
First Name: Brent
Last Name: Wilburn
Country: United States
Phone: (770) 466-1662
Phone2: (678) 471-1432
Number of Active Listings: 45
Seller: Private Seller
Return Policy: 3 day inspection and return policy on used guns.
Payment Types Accepted: Money Order, Certified Check
Nice example of Colt's best selling revolver of the 19th Century, the Model 1849 Pocket Revolver. Colt sold 340,000 of these were sold from 1850-1873. This one has the scarcer 6 shot cylinder instead the usual 5 shot. It also has the somewhat less common 5" inch barrel as most were 4" inches followed by the 6" inch barrel. Standard .31 Caliber. This one is the 266,000 range which dates its production to 1864. This was at the height of the Civil War...the year "Total Warfare" was intruduced by the Union Army on the South with Grant in the East pushing on Richmond and Sherman in the West pushing on Atlanta. This was probably the toughest year in the history of the United States and these Colt Pockets were sold to thousands of Soldier's as personal carry weapons. The photographic evidence of Civil War soldiers posing with these Pocket Colts is overwhelming. Overall Condition Grades to NRA Antique Fine Plus with 75% original blue remaining on the barrel, 25% original blue on the cylinder with the remainder turned to grey. Excellent cylinder scene. The loading lever shows strong case colors while the frame shows whisps of original case colors mixing through a light brown patina that grow stronger in the more protected areas. The grips are fine overall with 93% original varnish showing. No chips, cracks, or repairs. The bottom of the grips have the soldier's two initials scratched along each side of the brass grip strap, "A.N." which was customary. Barrel has 1 Line New York Address. All matching numbers except the wedge which was common. Wedge is an original but mismatched. Nice action with an excellent bore.
Manufacture Date: 1864