LANCASTER 450/400 3 1/4" BPE- DELUXE GRADE- SUPERB ORIG. COND.- FULLY ENGRAVED- DELUXE WOOD- ACCURATE- MADE 1884 for NAWAB of BAHAWALPUR- NICE
Guns International #: 101576877 Seller's Inventory #: y611
Category: Double Rifles - English - Double Rifles - Antique
When emailing or calling sellers direct, please mention that you saw their listing on GunsInternational.com
Company: Champlin Firearms Inc.
Member Since: 11/19/07
First Name: George
Last Name: Caswell
Country: United States
Phone: (580) 237-7388
Seller: FFL Dealer
Return Policy: 3 day inspection and return policy on used guns.
5 Plus Days
Payment Types Accepted:
#5415, Charles Lancaster: 151 New Bond Street, London: A 450/400 3 1/4" Black Powder Express Deluxe Grade Double Rifle That Remains in Superb Condition, Fully engraved, Excellent wood, It is Accurate, Made in 1884 for Nawab of the Princely State Bahawalpur, A Jones action underlever back-action locks with non-rebounding hammers, London proved, 28" "Non-Fouling Smooth Oval Bore Rifling" steel barrels with a rib extension dolls head, Full length matted rib with 1 standing rear sight that is Gold lined, Percussion style fences, Dolphin hammers, Rear sliding hammer safeties, A long trigger guard tang that is engraved and checkered, An absolute deluxe piece of wood with great color contrast, Extremely solid wood that will last another 137 years, Shadowline cheekpiece, Sling eyes, The forend release is a patented rotating snap that has a friction-reducing roller under the forend iron that is spring loaded to force the rod forward so it will snap into the bite on the forend loop mounted on the barrels, To remove it you insert your finger tip at the forward end of the forend and pull down so the roller allows the spring to compress, A novel and secure tiedown that came from George Hackett as patent #964 of 1878, 14 1/4" LOP over a fully checkered and engraved steel buttplate, Great weight at 8 lbs. 7 oz., 95% coverage of excellent period scroll engraving that covers all the metal including the forend iron and trigger guard, The original & honest barrel blue remains at 94% with excellent striking, 40% original case colors that is very vivid in some areas, The breech face has 50% case colors with zero primer burn at the striker holes, The butt & forend are as solid as they were 137 years ago, The original stock finish is at 80% with 137 years of handling but never refinished, The original checkering remains at 95%, The bores and chambers are absolutely excellent plus without a pit to be had, The inletting looks like the tree grew around the metal, Every screw including the buttplate remains at 98% and they lay north & south, The inside of the forend almost looks like it left the shop yesterday, The dolls head fits like new. It is cased in a near vintage oak & leather trunk that is in very nice condition. It is very accurate with .406" 250 & 254 grain bullets using 4198 powder at 50 yards and shoots to the point of aim. This is very nice stuff in a total Deluxe Grade double from the real Golden Era of the British gun trade. Dreams of tigers and ships and palaces, fine spices and women and silk. As my friend Mr. Wal Winfer would say, "We are but temporary custodians of all things on this planet. Treat this old piece gently. Load and shoot it with care. But, above all, preserve its integrity for the future enjoyment of the next temporary custodian."
Charles Lancaster started as a barrel maker in 1811 and in 1826 he moved his shop to 151 New Bond St. He started as a barrel maker for many of the top end London makers including Purdey and marked them CL. He died in 1847 and his son Charles William carried on with the same interest in barrel making and was known for oval bore rifling. His oval bore rifling was patented in 1850 for which the firm is most known. Lancaster produced multi-barreled guns to give the shooter additional fire power and reliability as early revolvers were not very reliable because of powder fouling. Lancaster had patents in 1881 & 1882 for 4 barreled rifles, shotguns and pistols but had been building them for all of 25 years prior. In the 1930's Lancaster joined with Hussey, Atkin, Beesley, Hellis and Watson Brothers until 1960 when it became Atkin, Grant & Lang. Of interest with a firm like Grant & Lang taking the name Charles Lancaster in the 1930's is the fact that Stephen Grant came to London and went to work for Charles Lancaster. Mr. Grant became the managing partner of Boss & Co. in 1856. Then in 1867 he established his own business at 67a St. James's Street in the heart of the London gun quarter. The records show that the Charles Lancaster firm as a separate entity ceased to exist in 1932 when Grant and Lang bought it. The name Lancaster then was at 7 Bury after the mid-1930's when Grant & Lang purchased it.
Rifle Caliber: .450/400 Black Powder Express