LANCASTER 280 FLANGED- NEVER HUNTED & APPEARS UNFIRED- PRE-WAR PIECE FINISHED in 1946- SIDELOCK with 26" CHOPPER LUMP Bbls.- 1946 NEW
Guns International #: 100794229 Seller's Inventory #: y18
Category: Double Rifles - Double Rifles - Small Caliber - .375 & Under
When emailing or calling sellers direct, please mention that you saw their listing on GunsInternational.com
Company: Champlin Firearms Inc.
Member Since: 11/19/07
First Name: George
Last Name: Caswell
Country: United States
Phone: (580) 237-7388
Seller: FFL Dealer
Return Policy: 3 day inspection and return policy on used guns.
5 Plus Days
Payment Types Accepted:
#18803, Charles Lancaster Sidelock 280 Flanged That Never Went Hunting & Appears Unfired, Pre-War piece that was finished in 1946, WWII altered the intended use of many Sporting Firearms and I believe this gun is one of those as it remains to this day like a new rifle. The address is 7 Bury Street, St. James's, London: A Bar Action Sidelock with 26" Extractor Chopper Lump barrels with A Dolls Head rib extension plus a third bite, 1/4 rib with 1 standing & 2 folding rear sights, London Nitro Proved, Regulated with 140 grain bullets, Bushed strikers, Double triggers, Lever forend release, 14 13/16" LOP over a checkered butt, 9 lbs. 14 oz., 95% coverage of period scroll engraving that is very well cut, 99% original case colors that remain bright & vivid, 99% original barrel black with near perfect striking on the barrels, The original stock finish remains at 98% with a few gun cabinet marks, The checkering is at 100%, The inside of the forend has 100% case colors, The breech face has 100% case colors, The bores are new. Lee Iacocca said about his Chrysler cars "If you can find a better car, buy it". If you can find a better conditioned 1946 English Double Rifle, buy it. /////////////////////////////////// Stephen Grant was on 7 Bury St. shortly after WWI; Joseph Lang joined Grant at 7 Bury St. (The address of this gun) in 1925 and became Stephen Grant & Joseph Lang Ltd. Then in the 1930's they joined with Hussey, Atkin, Charles Lancaster, Beesley, Hellis and Watson Brothers until 1960 when it became Atkin, Grant & Lang. The Second World War altered the intended use of this gun and it remains to this day like a new rifle. Of particular interest with a firm like Grant & Lang taking the name Charles Lancaster in the 1930's is the fact that Stephen Grant came to London and went to work for Charles Lancaster. Mr. Grant became the managing partner of Boss & Co. in 1856. Then in 1867 he established his own business at 67a St. James's Street in the heart of the London gun quarter. This 280 Flanged went to Stephen Grant & Joseph Lang Ltd. from Lancaster when they joined in 1932. It came to life again in 1946 and carries the magic of 2 former great names in the trade, Stephen Grant & Joseph Lang Ltd., as it has their serial number and address. The records show that the Charles Lancaster firm as a separate entity ceased to exist in 1932 when Grant and Lang bought it. This explains the 7 Bury Street address as Charles Lancaster was on 11 Patton Street from 1904 to 1925 and moved to Mount Street during 1925. The name Lancaster then was at 7 Bury after the mid-1930's when Grant & Lang purchased it. It then rested well and had great custodians to this very day.