LANCASTER 12 "COLINDIAN"- BALL & SHOT OVAL BORE RIFLED GAME GUN- 1895- 1964 BIRMINGHAM NITRO PROVED 30" STEEL Bbls.- .040" WALLS
Guns International #: 101267971 Seller's Inventory #: y412
Category: Lancaster, Charles Rifles - Rifles - English Sporting
When emailing or calling sellers direct, please mention that you saw their listing on GunsInternational.com
Company: Champlin Firearms Inc.
Member Since: 11/19/07
First Name: George
Last Name: Caswell
Country: United States
Seller: FFL Dealer
Return Policy: 3 day inspection and return policy on used guns.
5 Plus Days
Payment Types Accepted:
#7568, Charles Lancaster 12 Bore "Colindian" Rifled for Shot or Ball that has Non-Fouling Smooth Oval Bore Rifling, Made in 1895, 30" steel dovetail lump extractor barrels with a dolls head extension, 1/4 rib with 2 folding rear sights, A very short front ramp, The bores at .732 .000 & .000 (Cyl. & Cyl.), 2 3/4" chambers, Wall thickness on the right at .042" and .040" on the left, It was re-proofed in 1964 in Birmingham to 3 1/4 tons and 2 3/4" chambers, Top lever Boxlock action body with Spring Cocking that operates just like an assist opener, Double triggers, Splinter forend with a spring tension release, Straight hand stock at 14 13/16 x 1 9/16 x 2 7/16" over a 7/8" pad with a 3/16" spacer, Neutral stock, 7 lbs. 5 oz., A very nice piece of wood that matches the forend well, No engraving, I presume the gun was refinished at the time of re-proof in 1964, The barrels striking is excellent and the blue now remains at 98%, The stock professionally refinished and now at 98%, The checkering is at 100%, The bores are excellent. The piece was recently shot with .735" diameter Paradox 720 grain projectile's with very good accuracy.
The "Colindian" gun was made in the late 1800s for hunters in the British empire, using the oval-bore rifling. The name is an abbreviation of the words,"Colonies" and "India". The Colindian could be loaded with either a shotshell or a slug. It could be loaded with a 750-grain hardened conical bullet, for Elephants and Rhinoceros. The folding sights made it practical to be used as a shotgun.
Charles Lancaster started in the trade in 1811 and set up shop at 151 Bond St. in 1826. He started as a barrel maker for many of the top end London makers including Purdey and marked them CL as these barrels are on this gun. He died in 1847 and his son Charles William carried on with the same interest in barrel making and was known for oval bore rifling. Their firm built several 3 & 4 barreled rifles and shotguns plus 580 four barreled pistols. They stayed as an independent firm until 1932 and were acquired by Grant & Lang at that time.